Nov 19, 2009

Kugelhopf

Kugelhopf
Lately I have been trying hard to make time for my passion for baking, and I dusted off my cookbooks and found Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.
The book opened up on Kugelhopf, and I remembered I have been meaning to try it long ago.

From Wikipedia: "A Gugelhupf or Kugelhupf is a southern German, Austrian, Swiss and Alsatian term for a type of cake. As with the Jewish dish kugel, the name "Gugelhupf" is related to the Middle High German word Kugel meaning "ball" or "globe". In Hungary, Croatia, and Serbia, it is called kuglof, in the Czech Republic it is called bábovka, and in Poland it is called babka. In Republic of Macedonia the cake is known as "куглоф".

In the book, and in many other references it is spelled Kugelhopf, but to say the least, I'd say pronunciation is quite irrelevant, what's relevant is how delicious the cake is, and well loved across the globe.

So, here we are, it took a whole morning, and I was finished late in the afternoon. Simple recipe, just so many steps for the dough to properly rise, but oh so well worth it. I have followed the recipe religiously, and it was a major success. Kids couldn't wait to try it, and we are now down to just a few crumbs, just enough to accompany my morning coffee.

The crust is not hard at all, but rather crunchy in a soft way, really delicious. I would love to add a zest of orange next time, and perhaps soak the raisins in rum. Definitely a recipe I am sticking with, thank you Dorie!

17 comments:

Mary said...

I like your cake it came out just so perfect!

PratosdaBela said...

I love this cake, is the best....
Kisses

Unknown said...

Fotografije su odlicne!

Unknown said...

Checking the net for Kugelhopf recipes and tips and found this! Perfect! You must have known I was coming! Thankyou so much!

Melita said...

Thank you all!
Joy - hope this post will help you, it is a great kugelhopf! Follow the recipe link, I didn't want to type it, when it was already out there :)

Anonymous said...

If this refers to a German cake you might want to use the proper nomenclature. We call it Guglhupf. The pronounciation is quite short, like google-hoopf, say it sharp and short and it'll be correct.

Peter from Germany.

Melita said...

Peter, that's how it's called in the book where the recipe came from :)

Sarea in bucate said...

not that the cake it is looking fantastic, but the pictures are amazing..wow nice!

Вера said...

Ja sam odrasla na ovakvim kolaČIMA,PREDIVNO IZGLEDA!

Marija said...

It's beautiful!

Bas dugo nisam imala kalup za kuglof i obicno smo pravili u onom "loaf pan". I sad sam ga kupila i nikako da napravim :)

Shelby said...

Looks lovely! I made this same recipe but failed terribly! Yours looks so good it makes me want to try again!

Shangri La Food said...

mmmmm... fini kuglof

farida said...

It is called Babka in Russian too. Russians make it on Easter, if I remember correctly. Yours looks so good! So well risen! I love Dorrie's book a lot. Made meringues from there and they turned out wonderfully. Will post soon:) Keep blogging! I love your blog, your photos and you:)

Suzy said...

Its hard to go wrong with one of her recipes and you always make the finished product look so beautiful. I'm glad you're taking time for baking. Your readers benefit too!

Through My Kitchen Window said...

thanks for the history lesson. Whatever and wherever I am mesmerised with your kugelhopf because it looks too perfect. Amazing.

novia said...

hi melita ...
long time no update. yummy cake and lovely picture.

regards,
novia

Momo said...

wonderful your"guguluf"-this is in romanian!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS